Sunday, November 10, 2013

Argument Project Self-Analysis (racial profiling)

In retrospect, I feel pretty guilty for snatching up the con-side without discussion. I hadn't realized how close-to-impossible the pro-side would be, particularly the valid argument, that Darwin and Lennart got stuck with. When the four of us were discussing the topic, it really dawned on me just how racist that whole system is. We essentially couldn't come up with a single valid argument for it. And it's amazing how the public just accepts policies like this, obviously without thought, because the issues are really quite plain if you just look at them. In terms of my own presentation, I was disappointed. I was pleased with what I had actually written, but the day we presented, for some unidentifiable reason, I pretty much lost my ability to enunciate. All of the complicated diction I had included, I was suddenly unable to pronounce. Which was a bummer. But I was pleasantly surprised with how close I was to being near the time goal. When I had rehearsed, it was about 15 seconds under, but in front of the class I inched a little closer. Overall, I really enjoyed this project. It was both amusing but also contemplative to see all of these ridiculous arguments for current issues our society is dealing with, and to see just how many people are oblivious to logical fallacies in our daily lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment